Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Farewell my senior friends


This is not a blog I was looking forward to writing. One of the best things about working on a great campus like Reinhardt's is getting to know the wonderful students, and that's very true. I look forward to seeing the same faces every day in the library. I don't feel like I'm staff, and you're students; I feel like we're friends. Of course, the reality is that you all put in your hard work for four years and then go off to bigger and better things (better than here?), and well, you leave. And I miss you!

Four of our student workers whom I've been blessed to know and work with for the past few years are graduating on Saturday. I'm as proud as I can be of all of you, but I also have to say that I am very much going to miss working with all of you.

Chris Williams, you were actually one of the very first people I met when I started working here. I've had so much fun joking around with you about the A-Team and Evil Dead (you still have my Army of Darkness dvd by the way). Even more so, I am going to miss your kind heart and your listening ear. You have a caring spirit that shines even brighter than those sharp outfits you wear. Reinhardt has been so enriched by your being here, and I know you are going to go on and be a huge success in life. I will look forward to following your career the way I used to keep track of you through your many accomplishments here!

Brielle Chinn, you have been a huge help to me. Any time I needed something done, I knew I could always count on you to do it and do it well. How am I ever going to manage without you? :) You have a way of coming into a room and lifting everyone's spirits. You've done great things at Reinhardt, and I know you will continue to shine in the big business world. You have blossomed into a confident and classy young lady and are a great example and role model. Keep your faith in God and your faith in yourself, and there is nothing too big for you to accomplish.

Drew Childers, my fellow Waleska native, the small-town boy with the super-sized heart! I know we're going to see each other again--we Waleska folks have to stick together. Your empathy is tremendous, and I don't know if you've ever met a stranger. We've seen each other through ups and downs over the years, and through it all your faith has been strong. You walk the walk of Matthew 22:37-40. I believe in you. Believe in yourself. Don't forget it. (And thanks for the tunes, D-Rizz).

Kirsten Rodning, my friend, what can I say? Except, of course, that this is not goodbye. Our friendship just graduates to "grown-up" level, right? I mean, now that we're both grown-ups! ;) Remember what Dorothy said to the Scarecrow? What a lovely surprise to find a kindred spirit! I'm sure the Library Mystery Club will continue to find puzzles that need to be solved, and I may need to call on my fellow detective. I will always think of you every time I see David Bowie, and I will know that somewhere you are screaming inside. Remember scholarly analyses of The Lorax and the months that stretched Murphy's law to its limits. It's all material for a writer: use it. The road goes ever on and on.

If I can give all of you one piece of advice, it's this. When you get to be my age, and you look back, it won't be the things you did that you'll regret the most. It will be the things you didn't do.

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. ~Theodor Seuss Geisel


Thank God for Facebook! ;)

And Bo and Kelsey-- thanks for your hard work, too. :)

No comments: