Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Student worker in the spotlight: Brielle Chinn

Staff member Nikki Preslock writes of student worker Brielle Chinn: "Brielle, my little library angel! She is a wonderful, sweet, bright, and compassionate person. The library seems to always be a happier place to be when Brielle is around. I always look forward to seeing her when I'm at main campus. One of my favorite student workers and a great asset to the school and students!"

Brielle is in her fourth year at Reinhardt and her second year working for us here at the library. She has quickly developed a reputation for quiet dependability.

"Brielle is self-motivated," said Stephanie Olsen, who supervises the scheduling of student workers. "She comes in and gets her work done." I can say from personal experience that she is a great help (and a calming influence). She's always willing to pitch in with a project, and it can really give you a sense of peace on an otherwise stressful day to know you can hand a task to Brielle, and it will be done and done well!

Brielle says she enjoys working at the library because she loves the smell of the books and the opportunity to help people. Working here, she says, has taught her "patience, that we have so much history and knowledge at our disposal that we take for granted, to smile more, and that staring at books while shelf reading can make you sleepy!" (I imagine it would--we appreciate your dedication, Brielle)!

The business major from Stone Mountain said she was initially attracted to Reinhardt for the beauty of the campus and the feeling of "being in the middle of nowhere." At Reinhardt, she says, she's learned that if she wants things to happen, the best way to make them happen is to go out and do them herself.

"I should not wait for someone else to do what I want done. If I want to be a leader, I go out and try to be the best leader I can be." (Brielle is president of the Residence Hall Association, is the student government representative for the McCamish School of Business, and is also active in Students in Free Enterprise).

"I can't wait for someone else to realize my potential," Brielle says. "I need to show them that I can lead by my actions and efforts. But most importantly, I learned that it's ok to be myself and that I must love myself. It's a strange effect this lil' college has had on me.

"I have had the honor of meeting some of the most wonderful people I have ever met. I have had the honor of growing into the good woman I am today because of the influences of the wonderful people, and most of all I've had the honor of finding a way to keep striving to be my best and to enjoy the journey along the way here at Reinhardt College."

As for her future goals, Brielle says "I want to be who I've always wanted to be, a strong woman who enjoys life, laughs and smiles much, cries when both happy and sad, a pillar and light to those around her, in a position to take care of those who helped me get that far. To sum that all up, a good Christian woman who is a lil' crazy, very unique and hopefully unforgettable!"

No comments: