Friday, September 18, 2009

Things I'll be Missing Next Week (that you shouldn't)!


Hola, Reinhardt! Your faithful blogger will be missing you next week as I go to Orlando to visit the Mouse. (I'll be back on Monday, Sept. 28. Don't worry, you can't get rid of me)!

I just wanted to give you a heads-up on a couple of Year Of North American Indigenous Peoples events that are going to be happening while I'm gone. First of all, on the 24th at 2:00 in the Funk Heritage Center, they will be showing the 2005 movie "The New World." It's a retelling of the famous (and probably not scrupulously historical) story of John Smith and Pocahontas. The movie stars Colin Farrell as Captain Smith, Q'orianka Kilcher as Pocahontas and Christian "Batman" Bale as John Rolfe. Kilcher won several awards for her breakthrough performance (she was only 14 at the time). As always, library director and "Year Of" chairman Michael Martinez will be on hand to offer a critical and historical perspective on the film. Show up and pay attention, and you may win a t-shirt!

Also on the 24th, at 10 am and 7:30 pm, the Kevin Locke Native Dance Ensemble will perform at the Falany Performing Arts Center. This one-of-a-kind ensemble features performers from a variety of indigenous backgrounds and traditions. Their performance encompasses dance, instrumentals, song, storytelling, sign language and audience interaction. I can't believe I'm going to miss it! :( I hope all of you can go and tell me how it was!

Admission to the concert is $30 for adults and $24 for children and seniors. The first 50 Reinhardt students who come in with a valid student I.D. will be admitted free! For tickets and information, call the FPAC at (770) 720-9167, or go online at http://www.reinhardt.edu/fpac.htm.

No comments: