Friday, September 17, 2010

Yarr!


Ahoy there, library patrons!

As ye may or may not know, September 19 is officially "Talk Like a Pirate Day!" If ye lubbers don't know what that is (what, were ye marooned on an island or something?), click the link there to find out.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Talk Like a Pirate Day, and I think there should be more silly-actin' and talkin' holidays--maybe Act Like a Ninja Day? But I must admit, in the Pirate vs Ninja debate, I am on the pirate side all the way.

So what does this have to do with the library? Well, for one thing, we do have some piratical resources for ye. Everything from an excellent biography of William Dampier to The Barefoot Book of Pirates to Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes. We have a video of the old "Captain Kidd" movie starring Charles Laughton.

For another thing, I just found out that I myself will be captaining the circulation desk on Sunday, September 19th. Hill Freeman Library, prepare to be boarded.

If ye come to the desk between the hours of 2 to 7 pm on Sunday, AND ye talk like a pirate to me, well, there just might be a little treasure for ye in it...

See ya then, lubbers!

No comments: