Wednesday, May 26, 2010

This date in literary history: Dracula is released upon an unsuspecting London!


On May 26, 1897, Bram Stoker's gothic horror novel Dracula was first offered for sale in London bookshops. The story of the undead Transylvanian count has thrilled readers ever since, and, in my opinion, has yet to be surpassed by any of the many vampire tales written since. I was a horror fan who was obsessed with vampires when I read Dracula for the first time, and I remember it scared me like no other.

Dracula is available in Reinhardt's North Fulton Library and also as an e-book in our collection through eBrary.

We also have the sequel, Dracula, the Un-dead in our Leisure Reading section, written by Bram Stoker's great grand-nephew Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt. I haven't read it yet. I think I just may "check it out" for myself.

No comments: