Friday, February 12, 2010

Black History Month Quote Contest

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me."--MUHAMMAD ALI

Congratulations to Whitney Chadwick for correctly attributing the above quote!

Today's quotes are:

"The United States has been called the melting pot of the world. But it seems to me that the colored man either missed getting into the pot or he got melted down." This contest has already been won by Sandra Zuniga, who correctly attributed this statement to Justice Thurgood Marshall, the first African-American to serve on the United States Supreme Court.

The other quote, which as of this posting has not yet been correctly attributed, is this:

"One day our descendants will think it incredible that we paid so much attention to things like the amount of melanin in our skin...instead of the unique identities of each of us as complex human beings."

The first student to present correct answer in person at the circulation desk will win a prize! Remember, you have to come to the desk to get credit. Do not answer the question here!

Good luck!

No comments: