Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Journal Recycling Project




Hello all!

Forgive me if I'm a little dusty, sweaty and/or out-of-breath these days. I've been working on a big recycling project.

You've heard the librarians talk about all of our wonderful databases, I'm sure. We have access to close to 35,000 magazines and journals, most of them electronically. I've been working with our print journal archives upstairs on the third floor, and have found a number of items in our collection are duplicated on the databases. So I'm working on weeding them out now.

What does this mean for you? Well, aside from more room on your library shelves, it's also an opportunity for you to pick up some of our discarded materials. I'm putting scholarly journals out on our sale table at $0.25 a copy. I'll be rotating titles on the table regularly. Right now I have available copies of Social Forces, Strategic Management Journal and New Literary History. If you would like to add any of these to your personal collection, please see a staff member, or if there are any particular journals that interest you, ask me if they're going to be discarded. (Again, I'm only removing those to which we have full-text access in the databases. Don't worry)!

As for some of the less-scholarly magazines (such as Time or Newsweek, for example), I'll be recycling those pretty heavily in the next few months. Marketing students and faculty, I'm looking at you! I know some of you like to use magazine advertisements in your classes. See me before they're all gone!

The more journals we can receive digitally, the greener our library will be.

Remember Earth Day is April 22!

No comments: